Tuesday 18 April 2017

Alan Southworth

I was so sad to hear a few days ago that one of our most highly-esteemed members of the George Formby Society has died. Alan Southworth has been a member for many, many years, and I looked forward to seeing him at every convention since LSH and I joined the society five years ago.

I shall always remember him as a very kind man, and a knowledgeable one on George Formby, on banjo-ukuleles and all aspects of playing them, as well as a being a joy to listen to when he went onstage to perform; his banjo-uke solos were expertly played with great style and finesse; he was a real George Formby man who has made great contributions to the society in many ways. The place will not be the same without him and he will be missed by all.

Read Peter Pollard's tribute to him on GFS pages here...


Here's Alan on the left, with his great friend, Billy Uke Scott in 2002.

And here's Alan with a rendition of "My Plus Fours" from 2011.


Thanks to Peter Pollard and the GFS for the video and photo.

LSH and I extend deepest and sincere condolences to Alan's wife, Hilda and his family. Alan was a truly lovely man.

Thanks for dropping in... I have been missing. I'm working on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!