Thursday 14 March 2013

I Want a Girl Just Like the Girl that Married Dear Old Dad

Well, here's my take on the 1911 song

I Want a Girl Just Like the Girl that Married Dear Old Dad



(C) I want a girl, (F) just like the girl that (C) married (G7) dear old (C) Dad (C7)


(F) She was a pearl (C) and she was the (A7) only girl that (D7) Daddy ever (G7) had,


A (C) good old-fashioned girl with (E7) heart so true


(Am) One who loves nobody (G7) else but you


(C) I want a girl, (F) just like the girl that (C) married (G7) dear old (C) Dad


You can throw in more C7s passing from C to F if you want....



It sounds great on banjo-uke - I reckon a Formby-style solo would work well on this! Something to work on there.... well, GFS, here we come! I could be strumming along with the gang in Blackpool Tower on Saturday... watch this space! ;)

5 comments:

  1. I was hoping there would another verse for this song , thanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought there might be another quick chord before the G7 in front of "nobody" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, thanks for that.... if I were to put another chord in, what I would do would be to put a D7 at "loves" in that line.... that's what sounds right to me, you may have other ideas.... ? Thanks for flagging it up, I appreciate your taking the time! And thanks for reading! Nice to know there are real people out there!

      Delete
  3. Hello Barefootgypsy - Thanks for doing this one! I was looking for the chords and words after seeing the clip of Jim Royle(Ricky Tomlinson)doing it on his banjo. All other versions I've seen so far have been in the key of F, but it's a lot easier to play in C (I could've transposed it myself, but I'm lazy!). At 66, I'm still relatively new to the banjo-ukulele and I'm forever on the look-out for new songs to add to my repertoire! I have a tenor (4-string) banjo, too, that I tune to 'Chigago' settings, so I can play Uke songs on it, but in a lower key.
    I like your suggestion to add extra C7s when passing to F - nice touch! I've bookmarked your BlogSpot for further reference - thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, and thanks for your comment, I'm really glad you found that useful! On a desktop computer you can pop your email address in the box on the right-hand side if you'd like to subscribe, ie get the blog posts automatically when I post them.... I don't see that, but the blog system works it! All the best and good luck with your banjo-uke!

      Delete

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!