Wednesday 13 June 2012

Blackpool Tram , the George Formby OBE, Launch Day 9th June 2012



In Blackpool on Saturday 9th June 2012, during the June Convention of the GFS, (George Formby Society) a the Boat Tram 604 was "launched" with the name George Formby OBE, to honour the Blackpool area's greatest star. A party of the Formby fan banjo ukulele players turned out in spite of the foul weather to ride on the inaugural journey of the open-top tram and play their banjoleles in honour of George. What a stalwart crowd! The weather did not faze them. Gerry Mawdsley, President of the GFS speaks at the beginning, all togged up in waterproofs... and watch carefully - you'll see a large umbrella blown inside-out on the tram!

"With me Little Stick of Blackpool Rock......"

And with thanks to the tram enthusiast, "dalrigh" who also braved the atrocious weather to film this for posterity!

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to be on that tram and it was brilliant! We were soaked through and freezing but riding along on a tram named George Formby OBE, playing a banjo ukulele is not to be missed. I love this video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I think you were all very brave, hardy souls, and I thoroughly admire your dedication! Something you'll never forget, though! And I do love the video...

    ReplyDelete

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!