Monday 9 July 2012

At Last a Great low G - What Now? Fingerstyle Ukulele Instruction Low G Tuning by Aaron Keim

Over the moon at having a good low G string on a uke at last,(new Aquila Red Series)I've found this great video tutorial on fingerstyle with a low G by Aaron Keim.

Find Aaron Keim, "The Quiet American" here. If you vaven't come across him before, do look - and his videos are superb.

In this one he teaches and then combines two fingerstyle techniques; the roll and the pinch.



Stringing the ukulele with a high G at the 4th string, known as re-entrant tuning, is the traditional way to string a uke. It's bright, it gives that traditional uke sound, and most chords and tabs are for a uke strung this way. The high G is great for bluegrass and clawhammer fingerpicking too. But for classical and jazz pieces, people often choose the low G option.

For a fantastic and popular classical piece, see John Moen's arrangement for Prelude for the First Suite for Unaccompanied Cello, posted 5th May this year, and for more on jazzy chords with a low G, see Glen Rose Jazzy Ukulele. (Post done here 31st May 2012).

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sir,

    I have a new particular Project with a few friends about the ancestries of the Ukulele: The Machete.
    It´s a Virtual Museum in homage to a relative of min. He was a collector and musician.
    The Machete is for me the most important, but I am interested in all instruments from Madeira Island (Portugal) And instruments from Portugal. I see that I have an portuguese guitar XIX century?
    Can I ask more fotos of the instrument? It´s for sale? Please let me know.

    I have already a few good instruments from the XIX century.
    You can see it on:
    www.museuapa.com
    With clicking on Instrumentos, you go to the page of the Machetes, and Machetinhos.
    www.museuapa.com/instrumentos/cordofones/

    The Machete number 6 and number 9, is an Machete and Machetinho respectively, built in May 2012 by Maker Carlos Jorge Pereira Rodrigues, that is the only Maker in Madeira that still making Machetes, Machetinhos, Rajao, and Viola de Arame with original woods fro Madeira and original forms.

    I am very interested on buy this kind of old and antique instruments, or any Madeirian Instruments.
    If you have any for sale, or know anybody that have it, please let me know.
    Please feel free to ad my website to your contacts . Will apreciate.

    Thank you in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Norberto Gomes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you for your comment! I do not own any machetes or Madeiran instruments, the ones I photographed were in the workshop of Carlos Jorge Pereira Rodrigues a few weeks ago. I saw your website already - Carlos sent me me a link to it! The instruments are very beautiful!

      Delete

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!