Saturday 28 July 2012

"It's a Grand and Healthy Life" on Banjo Uke - John Bianchi



As the Olympic Games begin in London after a truly amazing opening ceremony last night, this George Formby number just has to be the best song for today! A Grand and Healthy Life, indeed...very sporty, a little saucy, and as ever, John Bianchi pulls it off with his own brand of New York panache, making those split-strokes look totally effortless - even sitting in his car in 100 degrees of heat...

Here are the words:

IT'S A GRAND AND HEALTHY LIFE

Some chaps like a game of tennis, some like boating on the sea.
Some are fond of cricket or a ball they want to kick it
But there's only one sport that appeals to me.

I love to hike, that's what I like, Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life.
I tramp a mile, then sit a while
A bumblebee there in the grass comes and stings me on my elbow.
Down comes the rain and I get wet through,
I can’t blow my nose because it's already blue
I catch a chill, and feel so ill. Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life.

I love to hike, that's what I like, Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life.
While tramping back, the night was black,
My girl tripped into a ditch I said, "you are a clumsy bounder."
She shouted help! I thought I'd begin
Pulling her out but she kept pulling me in
The ditch was high, we drank it dry, Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life.

I love to hike that's what I like, Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life.
My girl and me, sat neath a tree
A great big blackbird with its claws came and tore off my girl's jumper
When she got home she heard mother shout
You haven't come home the same as when you went out
She hung her head and blushing said, Ee! but it's a grand and healthy life

(all rights reserved)


Go and enjoy those Games now...

Or.... take a look at John Bianchi's excellent blog, The Ukaholic ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

HI! I hope you enjoy this blog and I'd love to hear your comments! But I know you'll forgive me if I read them over before I click the "publish" button! Thanks!